Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Getting ID'd at 30+

So I went for a walk today with my wife and we decided to stop by Rite Aid on the way home to pick up a few things. While we were there, I saw that they had Ketel One Vodka on special, so decided to pick some up. We went up to the front counter to pay and they asked for my ID. This always makes me very happy. At 32, when you get ID'd it's a compliment, not an annoyance. So I whipped out the ID and handed it over. She seemed fine with this, then asked for my wife's. I knew that Suzanne had left her purse at home, so asked why as I am the one buying, was the one holding it, etc. She told me that her company's policy is that everyone present at purchase has to have ID. This is about as stupid as can be in a drug store. We are not talking about a liquor store, a bar, etc. This is a drug store that sells diapers, depends, suppositories, etc. I said keep it and we walked off.

According to the policy, if I were to walk in with a child in a stroller, I would not be able to buy alcohol. Even if that child were an infant. While it is very complimentary that the register monkey thought my wife might be under the age of 21 (she's about to turn 31), I find this horrible customer service.

I have since emailed the Board of Directors and am interested in seeing if I get a response. I doubt it, as they don't necessarily stake their reputation on service. In the mean time, boycott Rite Aid.

Update: I have received an email from the corporate secretary. She stated that I should be hearing from the regional management shortly. I will keep you posted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home