Monday, August 30, 2004

I am a Student Again

I started back at school today. It was interesting how much it hadn't changed, though I haven't been to a junior college since 1998. Everything in JCs seem to be locked into a time warp where they don't appear to keep up with the times. I am taking a creative writing class right now, and the entire first class was taken up going over the syllabus. And the instructor wasn't very creative with the syllabus itself. It will be interesting to see what the actual class is like. I crave good feedback, a discipline to wright, and a challenge. I lack all of those things currently. The first half of the class is going to be focused on poetry. I suck at poetry. Perhaps I will post my attempts here when I get to that point.

Another point of fascination for me is the term length. Sixteen weeks! It seems that in that time, we should be able to produce an entire portfolio of work. Instead, we are expected to be able to complete a couple of poems and two short stories, no more than 3000 words. I think I have twice that many words on this blog alone in one week, including drafts. When I completed both my Bachelor's and Master's degrees, we were on a quarterly system. I got used to producing all the time. I know keep wondering if I will be able to sustain interest for 16 weeks.

It was interesting looking around at the students. I think I may very well be the oldest person in the class, though it is a tough call between the instructor and myself. Each of the students managed the perfect syllabus glaze after about three seconds. Their eyes get this slightly moist, far off look, they have the aura of an inanimate object and they await the end of the class signal for a chance at reanimation. "Oh, I guess I only have five minutes left" suddenly turns each of the objects into living breathing things again. Not engaged students, necessarily, rather animate objects that suddenly have an intense focus on their belongings. All of the crashers suddenly look anxious and ready to bolt to the front of the class.

"I know you said that you didn't take anyone beyond the 32 max students, but let me explain why I am special. My lack of preparedness and inability to register for classes on time shouldn't be held against me. I really am a nice person that wants so badly to sing praises upon your name. I want to be in this class, plus I need it, or I won't have enough units to be covered under my parents insurance."

"I am sorry, but it is for the benefit of the students that I keep my limit to 32. If some of the students who didn't show up today don't show up for the next class and don't contact me, then I will consider adding each of you on a first come first serve basis, but you must attend class in the mean time."

"Oh, don't worry, I will. I really want this class. I am telling you this, because I won't be here for the next class and you won't see me again until I am ill prepared and trying to add a class next semester. But if you suddenly feel generous to give out that add code right now, then I will stay in the class. Maybe. And because you didn't add me today, I am about to tell all my friends about how much of a jerk you are."

Then all of the special "I have to talk to you so that you know that I am a unique individual that needs exemption from the attendance and late work rules plus I want to do my own thing instead of what you assign" people show up for their two cents. They are never the first in line for the instructor, because they have to have the very special privelege of speaking with the instructor in as private a setting as possible. "No please, go ahead of me, I am too special for you to hear what I have to say."

Of course, then there is the walk across campus. Here things have changed slightly since I was last in JC. Obviously clothing styles have changed a bit. The death of the nineties has mostly brought about the end of the grunge look. Yay personal hygiene!

Now, instead of everyone talking loudly to the people around them, they are talking loudly into a cell phone. Apparently, I am the only person on Earth that has the magic power to talk at a low or normal volume into my cell phone and still be heard. Truly I am a unique individual!

As I meandered across campus, I noticed something about myself. I suddenly can not read a map. I stared at three maps today of my new school. In each instance, I looked at where I was, looked at where I wanted to go, figured out landmarks, then walked across campus in the entirely wrong direction. I would like to think of myself as an intelligent person, but apparently even my graduate degree can't save me from my idiocy. The school isn't that large, why can't I find the f'ing bookstore? Finally I asked a staffer which direction to the bookstore so that I could be laughed at and pointed in the right direction.

Other observations:

College parking lots are all the same. Too few spots, too many people, security w/attitude.

There is never a working air conditioner in classrooms during the hot months. (And usually no heater during the cold months.)

Bookstore employees are never happy, especially during the first two weeks of school.

The cost of texts is inversely proportional to the likelihood of usability.

A previous edition of a text is never good enough for the instructor.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home