Monday, September 13, 2004

Can You Spare Some Change?

I know that my wife and I are new to Hillcrest, and we probably look like the North County we just left, but I didn't think that we would be seen as begger bait. We were walking to get something for dinner tonight, and there was a woman sitting next to an ATM machine. She didn't look homeless like the real homeless look, just a bit disheveld and tired. This woman was pretty big, so walking any distance would tire her out. She sees the two of us coming, and pants at us, "Can you spare some change so I can get a bus, I am trying to get to the hospital." I almost got the sense that she was trying look as if she needed medical attention right away.

This is at the corner of University and 6th Ave, which is less than one block from Scripps Mercy Hospital and a very short walk from UCSD Medical Center. I point at the nice big, tall building and say "The hospital is right there." Apparently, this was translated as "You are the most disgusting being on earth," because she gave me a seriously evil eye.

"I wasn't trying to get to that hospital!" She says. It is always interesting to me how beggers will try and argue money out of you. It is one thing to try and rely on the charity to others, but to argue and try and guilt it out of someone seems incredibly stupid to me. So when she tried to ask again, I interrupted with "Oh, sorry" and my wife and I continued on our merry way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home